Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Back to School

Today my university starts back to school....finally. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE a break from school as much as any student; however, to me the break is just way too long. The first week is fun, by the second week my family/roomies are getting on my nerves, by the third week I'm ready to go insane....and lets not even talk about summer breaks.

Since I have come out of the closet, several people have asked me if I ever had any trouble in school...remarks made towards me, bullied, any of that sort of stuff....and I can honestly say that I never have had any trouble with that. HOWEVER, as most of my friends like to remind me, I'm one of those "sneaky gays." In High School, I played soccer, basketball and fenced... I was the President of the Student Council, was on yearbook, FBLA, etc, etc, etc. So, especially since I went to a small, private Christian High School, I never had that trouble.

Even here at University I've never had any trouble... before I transferred schools for my major, while I was at Mississippi State, I was in Air Force ROTC for abit and part of a fraternity. Honestly, although I wasn't out at the time, I have recently found out that several of the guys knew I was gay and were cool with it. Although I now know they knew and were cool with me, if they had come up to me at the time and told me, I probably would have freaked the hell out. I mean, I thought I was so deep in the closet that I could see Narnia. I just needed the time and patience to work things out for myself. I still keep in contact with a few of the guys and although I don't talk to them as much as I would like, I definitely consider them to be really good friends of mine. (and I would do pretty much anything for them)

Now that's all changed... I'm at another university, I'm older and comfortable with myself...and I'm out to everybody but my family. Hell, I have started and co-founded a GSA at my university...we'll be the 5th GSA at a university in Mississippi and the only one at an HBCU. I don't throw the fact that I'm gay around and wear rainbows and all, but if someone asks or mentions something, then yeah I'll tell them. I have not had a single person say anything bad to me or act unkind towards me in any fashion. I don't know whether it's because I try to be nice and friendly with everyone, or if they know that if they ever did something, that I would verbally rip their heads off.

I don't know why it is, but it seems like even people who don't like "homosexuals" once they get to know me more and see that I'm just a normal person like anyone else, they just seem to... I'm not certain what the right word is...relax? Be more comfortable with? I don't know. Also, in my personal experience, all the guys that are homophobic, besides being repressed, those dudes have nothing to worry about. I'm totally serious, every homophobic guy I've ever met is f-ugly and I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot stick, so they don't have any reason to worry about us anyways.

So all that to say this.....school.......yay. :-p

No comments:

Post a Comment