Monday, January 10, 2011

Hello world!

Dear Reader,

First of all, thank you for taking the time for visiting my blog. Obviously, this is a new blog and this is my first blog that I have ever made, so this will be a fun ride for all involved.

So, first of all, what is Rainbow Magnolias? The name Rainbow Magnolias came from an idea of playing off the movie title of "Steel Magnolias" so instead of steel we thought rainbow was a better word. Rainbow Magnolias is my personal take on the world, most especially, the world of being gay in Mississippi. So I plan for it to cover general life, food, friends, musics, as well as social perceptions, politics, and activism.

Why did I create this blog? Well, for a couple of reasons, I've never done it before is one; however, my biggest, main reason for doing this is because...I want to stop complaining. It seems like little to nothing gay related comes out of the South, let alone Mississippi (save for a few who break the silence). I would rather try and make something, like this blog, then just sit back and complain about that I don't believe nothing is being done.

Onto who I am. My name is James Cook, I am a 24 year old student in Mississippi who was born and reared in the state and I came out this summer to everyone but my family. I am involved with groups such as the NAACP, Mississippi Safe Schools Coalition, Habitat for Humanity, as well as generally being helpful with whatever good cause comes my way. I am a Roman Catholic, a Republican (socially moderate, fiscally conservative), I enjoy both watching and playing sports and have been known to do some really dumb stuff over my years.

I have loads of completely random ideas with some being good, some would be good in the future and some that are just completely off the wall. I enjoy meeting new people and hope to be able to talk with all of my readers.Oh and I'm actually pretty inappropriate at times and try to say what I mean and mean what I say. (meaning: yeah, I know some stuff I might blog about some people might not agree with; however, that's my current view at the time, but I'm always open to new viewpoints)

I hope that you enjoy reading this blog as much as I am going to enjoy making it. Also, I hope that everyone stays safe in this nasty winter weather we're having.

Sincerely,

Daniel Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment